Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Year in Review

Today marks the 6 month anniversary of my stay in Japan. Given that, it seemed like a good time for a quick recap of the last year.

I had reconstructive ACL surgery last January and spent most of my time in physical therapy and being unable to walk. This sucked. I was also beginning the final semester of my fairly protracted tenure as a college student. At the end of January, I was notified that I had qualified for an interview with JET.


Knee surgery is a bitch.

In February, I went to Chicago for my JET interview and continued the usual business of studying (well, sorta) and physical therapy for my knee.

March marched along more or less the same. In April, I was notified that JET had accepted me, and I also ended my tenure with TeachStreet. In May, the longest romantic relationship of my life came to an abrupt and unexpected end. Four days later I graduated from college.


Me and Jackie, my wonderful beloved roomie.

June brought a three-week trip to France (though, for the sake of bragging rights, we went via Copenhagen, even though I saw nothing save the airport) with my family, during which I celebrated my 23rd birthday in Paris.



In July, I went to Yellowstone Park with my mom. At the end of July, just one week after the end of the Yellowstone trip, I threw most of my stuff into two gigantic suitcases and boarded a plane for Tokyo orientation with JET.

Yellowstone.


Tokyo.

In August I arrived at my new home in Akita Prefecture, and began my work with the JET program. September and October continued much the same, with some travel within Akita Prefecture.

Welcome to school.


Halloween was pretty awesome.

In November, I took a trip to Kyoto and Osaka.





December saw me coming home to Seattle, with
an overnight stay in Seoul, Korea on the way home. I am now back in Akita, with JET, and am eagerly looking forward to a trip to Beijing next month.


I guess you could call it a busy year.

Onward! (That's for you, Dave.)



We went birdwatcing at Nisqually while I was home!

No comments:

Post a Comment